Sunday, May 10, 2015

Fantasy Character

This was by far the most challenging, and the most rewarding of the makeups. We were asked to decide on a fantasy character, and to execute a makeup using techniques we learned and at least one household item in a way other than it's intended use. I chose to do a dragon makeup.
In my research, I looked at all sorts of dragons; European, Chinese, Japanese, even Mayan dragons. I looked for what they had in common, what colors they used, what was aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Beyond that, I looked at lizards to give me an idea of how their scales sat on their face, where the large scales were, where the small scales were.
From there, I worked on incorporating the "household items." For the larger scales, I used the cloth from the pocket of my laundry hamper as a stencil, while for the smaller scales I used one of my intimates laundry bags. I also used scraps of fabric for the "eyebrows" and "whiskers" of the dragon.
I also used nose and scar wax to hide my eyebrows and create a scaled look on the brow ridge, and liquid latex was incorporated to keep the whiskers "floating" along the sides of the face.
For the rest of the makeup, I used many shades of eyeshadow, with a neutral base that never would have worked on my skintone, eyeliner, and some dense paper for 3d scales.
My hair is drawn up to suggest a mane and the place of horns. Had I made horns/had horns, they would have attached there.
Some of my research photos:







What I ended up with:




 A guide to the color use/distribution:
 A guide to materials used:

No comments:

Post a Comment